Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Getting ready

Hi everyone!

So I am headed to Mozambique this summer to conduct senior thesis research.  I'll be there for two months and I leave on Saturday!  I just started getting my stuff together for packing this afternoon, so everything seems a bit more real.  I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post on here while I'm there, but I'm going to try my best to get pictures up here.

I thought I'd start off blogging this summer by sharing part of the project summary that I wrote when applying for funding to support my research.

            In the early 1970s, Kenneth Tinley surveyed the plant community on floodplain at Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique (Tinley, 1977).  He found it was grass-dominated.  The abundant grasses provided food for the buffalo, wildebeest and zebra at the park; in turn, the herbivores prevented woody species and forbs (non-grass plants) from encroaching.  From 1977-1992, Mozambique was ravaged by civil war.  Soldiers and poachers killed 90-100% of the individuals of all large mammal species for both food and ivory.  Today, restoration efforts are underway to bring back the variety and abundance of mammals that were once found there.  
Has the loss of herbivores altered the park’s important floodplain plant communities?  In 2013, members of Rob Pringle’s lab in the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EEB) department completed a re-survey of the floodplain.  They found that there had been a shift in the plant ecosystems there.  Further studies are being conducted to try to explain what caused this shift and what is maintaining it, as well as whether the new communities will continue to be able to support a large herbivores. 
Although most of the mammals in the park were lost as a result of human conflict, waterbuck have staged a spectacular recovery and now exist and roughly ten times their pre-war number.  They are dominating the recovering park’s mammal community like never before.  What might this dramatic shift in herbivores mean for park vegetation, and how might it affect the recovery of non-waterbuck animals?  The floodplain communities observed by members of the Pringle lab might not be able to support the number and variety of animals that were found there in the past.  I will investigate the role waterbuck are playing in the shift to see how they might be maintaining it.  It is important to better understand how and why this shift occurred in order for restoration efforts to be successful.  Every bit of research conducted at Gorongosa helps with these efforts, and the efforts made in the park are leading to new methods and ideas that could help with the restoration of ecosystems all over the world.    
My project will involve a lot of time watching the waterbuck feed to find out how long they spend in different vegetation types.  Observations will take place at randomly chosen locations that have both grass and forbs across the floodplain.  Following the focal animal sampling technique by Altmann (1974), an individual waterbuck will be randomly chosen for observation.  The gender of the individual will be recorded, as will the amount of time spent on different activities (i.e., feeding, resting, being alert) over thirty minute observation periods.  

That's a pretty good overview of what I'll be looking at this summer.  I'm going to  Gorongosa National Park and I'll be staying in the Wilson Lab.  Like I said, my parents will take me to the airport on Saturday, and my flight leaves in the evening.  From there I go to London, where I'll have some time to explore.  Then to Johannesburg, South Africa, and finally to Beira, Mozambique.  Then it's a few hour drive to get to the park--I should arrive on Monday afternoon (Beira time, which is 6 hours ahead of EST).  

Right now it's nearly bed time and the next time I post will likely be from Gorongosa.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment