Thursday, June 7, 2018

I made it!

Hello from Costa Rica!

I made it here yesterday! And then ate dinner and went to bed because it was a pretty long day of travel.

My trip yesterday consisted of:
- waking up at 2:45am NJ time to get to the airport for my 6:00 flight (thanks again Mom and Dad for taking me and waiting with me!)
- flight to Fort Lauderdale
- pretty much straight to my flight to San Jose once I landed
- shuttle to a Denny's near the airport
- shuttle to Santa Elena, a town about 30 min from campus
- taxi to campus

I'm writing this on my phone, so there are no photo captions. But the pictures are from the plane, at the airport, at Denny's (out of order), during my shuttle ride, the common area outside reception/ the eating area, the view from the cabinas here.  The photo of the two men by the fruit on the side of the road is something that doesn't usually happen in the US: my shuttle driver pulled over on the side of the road and bought a piece of fruit before we kept going.

Today was a full day of orientation and training, plus a campus tour and just getting better situated with what I'll be doing over the next few months. As a naturalist, my primary focuses are: teaching/guiding (both student groups and tourists), day to day operations  (helping with whatever our guests need), and program development (making improvements to existing presentations and helping with research, plus maybe getting to do some independent research).

It's surprisingly cold here, so I'm very grateful for my long pants and long sleeves and jackets.

That's it for now, I'll post again once I've been through some more training!

No comments:

Post a Comment