Sunday, July 6, 2014

Game Drive

So I totally wasn't going to post today, because I thought today was just going to be a lazy Sunday and I'd have nothing new to share.  But then we went on a game drive this afternoon.  I'm pretty sure that those are two of my new favorite words.  I've been on two official "game drives" and one unofficial (getting back yesterday was kind of like an impromptu game/rock drive), and it's just so cool each time.  I have to keep reminding myself that no, I'm not at the zoo. Or Six Flags. Or Disney.  That these are the animals in their natural habitat, just doing their thing. 

Breakfast was fantastic this morning.  I ate my last bagel, with eggs and ketchup and it was delicious.  After that, I wrote some emails and napped.  I went for a run after lunch.  One comment on running: it's super hard here.  We're at an elevation of roughly 1700m above sea level, and you can feel it when you exercise.  

I went on the game drive with Kate, Colleen, and Aubree (with whom I traveled here as well).  Jackson drove us. I broke out my grandma's telephoto lens for the first time, and it was amazing.  A huge thank you to Fairma for letting me borrow it and to Dad for going to pick up before I left.  It was 110% worth it, even if the only time I end up using it is today.  

We saw: kudu*, giraffes, impala, both kinds of zebras (Grevy's--which are endangered, and plains), oryx, hartebeests, warthogs*, Grant's gazelles, ostriches, elephants, elands*, water bucks, dik diks (which we see all the time at the center), and hippos*.  I put a * next to all of the animals I saw for the first time today.  I kid you not, Kate and I broke out in song ("When he was a young warthog...") we saw the first warthogs.  It was fantastic.

So yea.  Today turned from being a lovely lazy Sunday into an awesome, holy cannoli did I really just see that?! type of day real fast.  And it was great.  Tomorrow I think we're headed into town in the morning, and then we'll be doing work (either out in the field or at the center) in the afternoon.  I'm totally beat now, so I'm heading to bed soon.  Good night everyone!
True Jersey girl breakfast (my last bagel.  Thanks for getting them for me, Mom and Dad!)

Kudu

Giraffe

Impala

Grevy's zebras

Oryx

Hartebeests

Pumba! (warthogs)

Grant's gazelle
Ostriches

Plains zebra

Elephant

Eland

Water buck

Dik diks (one of the animals we see all the time at the center)

Hungry hungry hippo

Amazing sunset on our way back to the center

The vehicle we took for the game drive.  We stood up for most of the time. 

1 comment: